- Extreme Builders Talent Show IV
- Infernal Machines and Diabolical Traps Building Contest
- Great Contraption Contest in Yellow World
Active Worlds Version 5.1
- Physics simulation implementation.
- Extended Presentation features, including PPT processing and server stored presentations.
Active Worlds Version 5.2
- GUI redesigned, now featuring HUDs
- Faster Engine
- Advanced Graphics Settings
|2011 is part of a series.|
- January 25
- AD&DRPG is restored to working operation. Development on the world resumes later through the year.
- February 2
- AWBuilder, an AW-related blog, is created.
- February 15
- Sedan celebrated its fifth anniversary since its foundation in 2006 and the first to be celebrated since the world's first opening in November 2010.
- AWTours world experiences an intense period of new development thanks to the efforts of a team of citizens led by Urbane Chaos. Discussion of the future of tours and events in AW occurs at the Active Worlds Town Hall meetings and forums.
- Mauz's passing is first announced to the ActiveWorlds community in the AW forums. Plans are announced to memorialize her website.
- May 9
- A week of festivities occur in relation to AW's 16th Birthday.
- June 1
- June 25
- June 26
- June 27
- June 28
- July 6
- July 31
- The Great Contraption Contest ends.
- December 6
- Active Worlds Version 5.2 is released.